[governance] SECOND DRAFT response to MAG questionnaire

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Oct 7 05:17:57 EDT 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010 02:07 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 07/10/2010, at 3:57 PM, parminder wrote:
>
>>> "In either case, such summaries transmitted from the IGF need not
>>> take the form of recommendations (though in the rare event that a
>>> rough consensus had been reached on a particular issue, there is no
>>> reason why they couldn't take that form).
>>
>> Tunis Agenda expressly includes making recommendations among IGF's
>> tasks. I see no reason why we should say ' need not take the form of
>> recommendations' and make it look like a very unlikely possibility,
>> rather seeking clearer action to realise that part of IGF's mandate.
>
> As you know Parminder, on a personal level, I agree with you.  But in
> the interests of putting out a consensus statement of the IGC at
> large, perhaps it is best, as you suggest, that we just omit this
> paragraph.  How did you feel about the following one? -
>
>>> A emerging model for this process is found in the "messages" or
>>> "recommendations" produced by national IGFs such IGF-D
>>> (Deutschland), and regional IGFs such as the East African IGF and
>>> EURODIG.  Ideally this would become a two-way process in which the
>>> institutions addressed could also turn to the IGF with issues they
>>> wished the IGF to address through multi-stakeholder dialogue."

Can we preface it with

  "While other possible models of developing recommendations may also be
explored, a emerging.....

the reason is, I do not want us/ IGF to entirely forgo more detailed and
focused work on specific issues that could become non-binding
recommendatory reports, as happens at many U N forums/ bodies (for
instance many gender groups in the UN system produce such reports),
which may be more of a need to be addressed vis a vis policy vacuums at
the global level rather that feel-good satisfy-all kind of more or less
banal statements, as far as their use for policy work goes.

Parminder