[governance] SECOND DRAFT response to MAG questionnaire

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Oct 6 04:10:13 EDT 2010

On 06/10/2010, at 3:31 PM, parminder wrote:

> On the question 6. How best to link with international processes and institutions?
>
> I think we need to propose ways beyond ensuring circulation of information. We should ask for real policy related engagements, whereby the IGF is able to give recs to these institutions in their area of policy making competence, and these other institutions are encouraged to bring policy issues on which they will like to have a larger debate/ dialogue to the IGF, and the IGF then reverts back on outcomes of the discussion/ dialogue. I also read some such intention in the Tunis Agenda para on IGF mandate.

You'll note that at the top of my email I claimed that I had added new text to the answer to question 6 about this, but in fact I had accidentally omitted it and the text was identical to the first draft.  Here is what I had intended to add, based on suggested text from July, but you may have something better to contribute.

"In either case, such summaries transmitted from the IGF need not take the form of recommendations (though in the rare event that a rough consensus had been reached on a particular issue, there is no reason why they couldn't take that form).

A emerging model for this process is found in the "messages" or "recommendations" produced by national IGFs such IGF-D (Deutschland), and regional IGFs such as the East African IGF and EURODIG.  Ideally this would become a two-way process in which the institutions addressed could also turn to the IGF with issues they wished the IGF to address through multi-stakeholder dialogue."

Also, point noted on the subsidiarity issue.  I'll remove that from the next version, unless others wish to speak up with a compelling counter-argument (Baudouin, perhaps? - that text was loosely based on your comments).

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.