[governance] MAG meeting - proposal for a non gov screening

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Nov 30 13:06:59 EST 2010

I agree with your concerns, Parminder. What they appear to be setting up is the kind of self-selecting network of insiders that characterizes many internet technical community institutions, such as ICANN’s Nominating Committee. In this kind of a system, existing representatives play a big role in vetting and selecting proposed incoming representatives. This happens in secret, in a completely nontransparent way. It is a small step away from the “black box,” because there is some diversity among the existing CS/MAG representatives and some (very weak) lines of accountability to civil society, but the overall effect of such a selection system can only be to minimize change in the composition of the MAG. The main purpose is to preserve the continuity and control of the people who are already in control. Whoever is selected must be “acceptable” to the group as a whole. People who are outspoken or controversial are automatically eliminated by such a system.

As for geographic and gender diversity, I would assert that diversity of viewpoints and ideas is more important than any other form of diversity, and that geography and gender are at best proxies for differing viewpoints and ideologies.