[governance] MAG meeting on the 24th - the issue of self improvements

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Tue Nov 30 03:58:09 EST 2010

Hi,

my understanding was that the MAG interpreted the mandate to make
"proposals with regard to its own future" in a modest way to avoid any
presumption in face of the upcoming CSTD working group. While it would
be odd for the MAG itself to discuss its authority or political weight
within the overall process, it made sense to reflect on the
institutional setting of its operation. This concerns, for example, the
relationship to the UN SG and the black box approach. Several MAG
members (me included) pointed out that the informal interaction between
the chair and New York should be replaced by more robust and formal
procedures so that we would rely less on the integrity of the
"messengers" involved. It was felt that we were fortunate to have Nitin
Desai and Markus Kummer most if not all people fully trusted and that,
in the face of a complete renewal, of individuals involved in this
process, it would be about time to document how the MAG worked, how it
cooperated with stakeholder groups and the UN SG, and how this process
could be improved. The role of the MAG as such should be discussed not
by the MAG itself but by the CSTD working group.

Regardless of whether or not one shares this approach, I think it is
worth explaining why the MAG chose this focus.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org