[governance] Re: GA 2nd Committee expected to adopt text

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Nov 28 10:45:17 EST 2010

I can't speak for Meryem but from the perspective of an advocate of internet freedom and openness there are strong reasons to be concerned about governments making protective statements about "traditions and religions" in the context of a discussion of international communications policy. I would think the reasons to be obvious, but to elaborate: the rights and freedoms that should be mentioned include the right to receive, impart information regardless of frontiers, which can also mean the right to publish or receive information that dissents from established traditions and religions in any given territory.

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org