[governance] Result of IGF negotiation - one observation

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Nov 24 09:18:25 EST 2010

Regarding this comment:

"The last reference to the IGF Secretariat was particularly
disappointing; we had tried to remove it because there had been no
comments in the formal consultations either in Sharm or online directly
criticising the work and the functioning of the Secretariat: rather the
opposite in fact in view of the many plaudits for the dedication and
achievements of both Nitin Desai and Markus Kummer."

Are they referring to para 19
<http://igbook.diplomacy.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ga65-ICTs-resol-19-Nov-clean-text1.pdf>
which is talking about the comments in Sharm and the process run by
Mr. Sha, specifically:

That "particular consideration of, inter alia, enhancing participation
from developing countries, exploring further voluntary options for IGF
financing and improving the preparation process modalities, and the
work and the functioning of the Secretariat;"

Fair enough. As all comments about the function of the Secretariat
were positive (except asking that it be better funded), that's what we
and other say during the ongoing CSTD process.  Remind the
consultation that the Secretariat (Desai/Kummer) has been consistently
praised.  CSTD doesn't have to recommend improvements where none are
judged necessary.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org