[governance] Additional points for tomorrow's CSTD consultation meeting

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue Nov 23 11:02:08 EST 2010

Here's the new and hopefully improved version, taking helpful suggestions
made by Marilia, Hakikur and Miguel.

----------
9. Do you have any other comments?

As the addition to our answer to the questionnaire:

IGC would like to emphasize the importance of keeping the secretariat
function of the past five years that have been the key to the success
of IGF to date.

We also request to keep the Multi-stakeholder approach in line with
Tunis agenda in the organizing of the IGF, MAG and Consultations,
attention to the balance of all stakeholders

We strongly request that the new MAG/secretariat should keep the open
and inclusive approach. IGF should promote the participation from all
stakeholders from all different parts of the world, especially from
developing parts, pay sufficient attention to achieve gender balance,
involve youth, and not to give special privileges to any particular
group or stakeholders.

IGF should also give equal weight to all stakeholders when making
decisions – we mean to governments, private sector, civil society, and
technical and academic communities.

Again, we want to emphasize the importance of keeping all meetings and
the works open and transparent – full use of webcast and other online
tools in IGF meeting as well as all consultation meetings and MAG
meetings are essential.

We also request that IGF should keep its independence from the
influence of financial donors in open, transparent manner.

For the composition of the new MAG, we request to foster:

- Transparency on the elections or selections of its members
- More proactive role on producing the summary of the IGF. We believe
it should not rest to the responsibility of the chair alone, same goes
true on identifying the main points discussed.
MAG should also map the points of divergence among stakeholders.

And finally, if possible, we expect the new MAG to help identify
points of consensus in IGF discussions.

izumi

2010/11/24 Miguel Alcaine <miguel.alcaine at gmail.com>:
> Dear Izumi,
>
> I suggest to use keep instead of improve at the end of the intervention. To
> say otherwise, will suggest there has been already and undue influence,
> which nobody should say, unless proof can be provided.
>
> Best,
>
> Miguel
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:
>>
>> Here is my crude draft statement/comment for tomorrow's CSTD consultation
>> meeting, in addition to the questionnaire already submitted, and I plan to
>> distribute the copies there.
>>
>> Below is sort of sketchy draft of points I propose.
>>
>> ----
>> As the addition to the answer to the questionnaire:
>>
>> IGC would like to emphasize the importance of keeping and enhancing
>> the secretariat functions of the past five years as follows:
>>
>> Keep the Multi-stakeholder approach in line with Tunis agenda for all
>> exercises of IGF,
>> - In the organizing of the IGF meeting, MAG and Consultation meetings,
>> - pay attention to the balance of all stakeholders
>>
>> Keep the open and inclusive approach:
>> - Receive and encourage the participation from all stakeholders from
>> all different
>>  parts of the world, gender balance, youth, giving no privileges to
>> any particular group or stakeholders.
>>
>> - Give equal weight to all stakeholders (when making operational
>> decisions) – governments, private sector,
>> civil society, technical and academic communities, and IGOs.
>>
>> Keep all meetings open and transparent – full use of webcast, audio,
>> video and transcripts
>>  and other online tools in IGF meeting as well as all consultation
>> and MAG meetings.
>>
>> Keep (enhance?) its independence from the influence of financial donors.
>>
>> Please add your comments and suggestions,
>>
>> izumi

                        >> Izumi Aizu <<

                                  Japan
                                 * * * * *