[governance] GA to pass resolution as early as tomorrow?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Nov 23 07:01:55 EST 2010

Hi, I think pretty clear the reason he's leaving is as he said in the
meeting yesterday:

"Let me also take advantage of this opportunity to inform you what I
told several of you personally already, that I will quit my present
function in January. I had learned a few months back that I reach
U.N. retirement age next August, and after some reflection, I came to
the conclusion it would not make much sense hanging on till August,
which will be shortly before the Nairobi meeting.

Our hosts, our presumptive hosts propose dates end of September. So I
will leave at the end of the first cycle, and the new team will be
able to take over."

<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/102-transcripts2010/756-ocms>

UN rules prevent people working beyond retirement age, and I believe
there is a required minimum break between a period of full-time
employment and consultant contract (as you'd hope for with an
organization like the UN.)

I think Markus felt ending as Executive Coordinator in August with an
IGF the following month would not be helpful.  It makes sense for him
to leave in January, but we will miss him.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org