[governance] IGF consultation starting

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Mon Nov 22 10:09:14 EST 2010

Below is the text I read in the afternoon session, on IGF stocktaking
and way forward.

Agenda 2.   Taking stock of the Vilnius meeting (what worked well,
what worked less well)
What worked well – remote hub, transcripts in all rooms, roundtable
Not well -
Agenda 3.   Suggestions for the 2011 IGF meeting (provided the IGF
mandate be extended)

-------

My name is Izumi Aizu, the newly elected co-coordinator of the
Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus –

We would like to extend our appreciation to the local host of IGF
Vilnius, not only the government of Vilnius, but the private sector
and civil society people there.

On the future of IGF, we like to see improved, stronger link between
workshops and main sessions – including the possibility of doing all
or most workshops up front say in the first two days, and then
feedback the outcomes to the main sessions later two days.

We also like suggest to obligate more strictly that all workshop
organisers to provide summaries that will be fed to main sessions and
to the whole IGF outcome.

We also like to point out that the MAG and the Secretariat are
strongly encouraged to directly foster discussion and debate on
difficult issues in the main session, instead of avoiding them.

In this context, IGC also like to see that we try to come-up with
“messages” or recommendations in certain areas where all stakeholders
could reach [rough] consensus. They will not be binding, but could
still function as a model or common framework. The working process
towards achieving the consensus will create better and deeper
understandings amongst different stakeholders.

Let us give more weight to regional and national IGF meetings. Making
more direct “links” to the main IGF meeting will help outreach to
those who have not yet involved in IGF process. The same level of
working framework of IGF, such as multi-stakeholder composition and
inclusion of civil society groups (where such practice is relatively
new or scarce) should be maintained.

The remote hubs and moderators at the Vilnius IGF made good progress.
We are proud to have our civil society members, Ginger and Marilia in
particular, took strong leadership for the remote moderation, thus
setting a good precedence to follow.

Further more, we like to propose to try to organize some sessions
completely online. This will create “level playing field” among all
participants everyone becomes remote and there is no “center”, and may
also demonstrate the effectiveness of these tools/technologies, and
may also improve the quality of services in turn.

Finally, we have another bold suggestion: That is to increase
linguistic diversity. Currently, English is the only default working
language, but we think it does not have to be so. How about using UN
major languages other than English at certain meetings and occasions
as main working language including, perhaps, the scripts (translated
into other UN languages). This will increase the outreach to
non-English speaking population globally and will give more sense of
ownership.
Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus would like to continue to
work with other stakeholders to the improvement of IGF processes
together with the enhanced cooperation processes.

Thank you.

------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org