[governance] Reply to our criticism of Enhanced Cooperation

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Nov 17 04:21:33 EST 2010

Hi,

Bit of a dilemma that DESA has invited to speak for CS an organization that has not been involved in IG for years and has no staff members who work on the topic.

For awareness raising if nothing else, why not reply to DESA explaining why this is a problem and asking how to proceed?  While they probably wouldn't change anything, maybe at least they could communicate to CONGO that it should coordinate closely with IGC etc.  The current leadership/office might need a nudge to do that, given their own incentives within the UN system etc.

Are any IGC members also CONGO members?  If so, their intervention would help (especially if they plan to be in NYC).

It also seems an odd strategic choice for ICANN to speak for the TC, especially if that means staff.  But at least global business will be appropriately represented; 1 out of 3 right is a start...

Bill

On Nov 17, 2010, at 3:14 AM, Izumi AIZU wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I agree with Jeremy' assessment, it is not what we wanted, but
> may accept with additional request/guarantee:
>
> I mean we like to ask CONGO  to work with us (and other members
> of Civil society, of course) for the statement to deliver,
> and also ask CSTD/Chair to insure sufficient amount of time for
> all who wish to speak, not "if time is available" and have no time management.
>
> Flying into New York and attend one-day only meeting
> and have no opportunity to speak at all is not quite reasonable.
>
> izumi
>

> 2010/11/17 Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>:
>> This letter just in.  It seems that the Enhanced Cooperation consultations
>> on 14 December will now be open to other stakeholders to speak if time is
>> available, and that they can register at
>> http://www.unpan.org/dpadm/wsisfollowup.  This is still not what we wanted,
>> but is a marginal improvement.  I have replied seeking details of the
>> contact from CONGO who will be speaking on our behalf.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeremy Malcolm
>> Project Coordinator
>> Consumers International
>> Kuala Lumpur Office for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
>> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
>> Malaysia
>> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599

William J. Drake
Senior Associate