[governance] FOURTH DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Nov 14 03:59:21 EST 2010

In message <4CDB0DC0.9080204 at eff.org>, at 13:25:20 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010,
Katitza Rodriguez <katitza at eff.org> writes
> For example, it is dangerous to see the Budapest Convention exported
>to other countries, as it has serious implications for citizen's
>fundamental rights.

Citizens also need the right not online safety.

>Despite the serious concerns that the Budapest Convention / Council of
>Europe itself contain, the harm to third countries outside Europe, for
>instance, Latin America is dangerous.  While the EU for instance has
>the Ecommerce Directive, The Data Protection Directive, the E-Privacy
>Directive, Charter of Fundamental Rights, and other check and balance
>in place etc, many countries lack of these regulatory frameworks

It's my understanding that the Council of Europe (which is a human
rights organisation, not a policing one) will only allow countries to
sign up to the Budapest Convention, if they also agree to implement
sufficient human rights safeguards as well.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org