Multistakeholderism and Public Policy: (was) RE: [governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 19:11:15 EST 2010

Avri, (and Jeanette),

I guess you know that what you are articulating is what most in the world
would call a "bug" to be found in certain rather specific (and currently
waning) political structures rather than as you seem to think, it being a
"feature".

The problem doesn't come in in the articulation of multiple "public
interests" but rather in how all of those are reconciled and turned into
public policy.   If there is no appropriate and democratic, responsible,
transparent structures for reconciliation/integration then the result is
simply the autocracy of the best connected, loudest voices, deepest
pockets--with those without such connections, loud voices or deep pockets
left more or less out in the cold (i.e. without decent health care, without
affordable housing, without useable/useful Internet access).

The latter I would assume being a usual (although in present company
regrettably infrequent) subject of interest to civil society.

Mike