[governance] FOURTH DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Wed Nov 10 16:25:20 EST 2010

Miguel

Can you share with us the arguments why the national level was
intentionally left out of the international mechanism? Pls.  I would
like to see emphasis also to the national and regional level. EC should
be done at the national, regional, and international level. Not all
Treaties conventions are good, and our countries should not sign or
follow those recommendation if its affects their own citizens at the
national or regional level. For example, it is dangerous to see the
Budapest Convention exported to other countries, as it has serious
implications for citizen's fundamental rights.  Despite the serious
concerns that the Budapest Convention / Council of Europe itself
contain, the harm to third countries outside Europe, for instance, Latin
America is dangerous.  While the EU for instance has the Ecommerce
Directive, The Data Protection Directive, the E-Privacy Directive,
Charter of Fundamental Rights, and other check and balance in place etc,
many countries lack of these regulatory frameworks.

I know, it can be worst with the ITU (and the end of anonymity). Please
read: UN rejects international cybercrime treaty
http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/04/20/240973/UN-rejects-international-cybercrime-treaty.htm