[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Nov 10 00:54:01 EST 2010

On 10/11/2010, at 12:56 PM, parminder wrote:

> Also I cannot see when giving our statement on EC we can skirt all core substantive issues and basically just say - 'whatever you do civil society should be there'. That is all I really see said in this statement. How , for instance, in an EC statement, at a crucial moment where very substantive inputs on what EC means and how to take it forward, are being sought,  can we not mention what the whole world outside (largely) strongly feels, in my opinion, ' that the US supervisory role on CIR management is completely unacceptable to the world community' and that this role should immediately be ceded to a global body with multistakeholder representation. If we are not able to muster enough political will to say this thing, which thing in fact got said many times even around the WSIS, I cant be a party to this regeressive non-statement.

Simply because the statement is pitched at a higher level than the specific cases of CIR and ACTA that you mention.  But, in a hope to get closer to something you would be satisfied with, will incorporate these issues somehow into the next draft, hopefully tonight.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.