[governance] FOURTH DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Nov 9 03:27:59 EST 2010

Because a couple of people have written to say they do not favour the
inclusion of text on new institutional arrangements, let me just say I
believe this text should stay in.

My reading is that, if no new institutional arrangements are contemplated or
considered, we are left with the two current and to me unsatisfactory
alternatives of trying to expand ICANN into areas beyond its competence and
useful brief to deal with other issues, or alternatively as some favour to
make all Internet issues part of the brief of ITU. To me neither of these
potential solutions is in the least bit attractive or satisfactory.

Ian Peter