[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:37:40 EST 2010

Thanks for the summary, it'll be easier to reply to:

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> To make it clearer, I prefer we give our response to EC consultation under
> four different parts
>
> 1) Core enhanced cooperation process, mandated to be initiated by the UN Sec
> General, as per Tunis Agenda

It was begun, and continues. We should applaud efforts so far, and
encourage more folk to contribute, in other words, make the spaghetti
ball richer.

> 2) Broader process of creating conditions for enhanced cooperation

I can't find this in the TA.  I think the conditions are in place, as
I see EC all over the place, so the conditions must have been created
long ago.

> 3) Enhanced cooperation process/ new institutional developments vis a vis
> CIR or technical management

I reject the notion that new institutions are needed.   We have a
"global body with multistakeholder representation" why would we need
another to oversee the first?  and who will oversee the new "global
body with multistakeholder representation" and who will oversee them,
etc, etc, ad infintum.  The bottom line is that the USG will cut the
cord long before any new body could be up and running.  Besides, the
ICANN Board would not likely (think hell freezing over) acquiesce to
being "overseen"

> 4) Enhanced cooperation process/ new institutional developments vis a vis
> other substantive Internet related public policy issues that require
> attention and resolution at the global level

I certainly don't see a need for any.  Are you really hoping to form a
global body to regulate FB/LinkedIn/MySpace?  Seriously?

> Lets see if we can close our differences enough by considering issues in
> these categories, and accordingly submitting IGC position.

I think a general statement supporting the current process of EC and
re-iterating CS involvement is the best we are going to be able to do.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org