[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Mon Nov 8 11:14:10 EST 2010

Lee,

I suggest caution with the use of the word "grid" for a few reasons...

Semantically, 'grid' implies a well-ordered structure (rows/columns). IG
is far from being so well-organised.

Technically, 'grid' contradicts some of the basic premises of the
Internet. I recently participated in a discussion on CERN's Worldwide
LHC Computing Grid (which provides data support for the "big-bang"
experiment at CERN). It is clear that CERN's grid, which is a principal
deployment of the grid model, is hierarchical, location-aware and
centrally planned. It does not provide for a decoupling of layers, which
was achieved in the very early days of the Internet. The lack of
decoupling oflayers leads to a problem with robustness, development of
new applications, etc. All in all, CERN is considering some sort of
merger or even evolution towards cloud computing, which is much better
in virtualisation of resources (mainly by decoupling layers). Business
abandoned the grid concept and moved to the cloud a few years ago.

Interestingly enough, both of the terms 'web' and 'grid' were coined
within the CERN project, although for different purposes. I still think
that 'web' both reflects better what occurs in the IG-field, and has
better future than grid. Given the fuzziness, sometimes confusion of IG,
'cloud' could be even better. This would also help speechwriters a lot -
so many possible metaphors with clouds, blue sky, etc.

Marilia mentioned 'IG ecology', which is probably the best description.
However, there are two possible confusions. One is with ISOC's Internet
ecology. The other is with the most frequent connotation of ecology with
environment and climate change.

What about "IG sphere"? Other suggestions?

Jovan