[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 18:12:34 EST 2010

A/the problem with a multistakeholder approach is that it is essentially
"interest based" i.e. it is based on reflecting/enabling those with specific
and direct "interests" in a policy issue to participate in the policy making
process; while ignoring/disabling the opportunity for those with more
diffused involvements/interests from direct participation.

The health care debate in the US is a very good example here as it has in
fact operated on an essentially multistakeholder platform. The medical
industry, unions, corporations, bigPharma, even the AARP (retired persons)
have all been involved in the discussion but who represented the 40 million
uninsured apart from a few ELECTED representatives/legislators?

The same has to be said about IG... It is fairly evident that those with
specific "interests" are well represented as stakeholders, and in this
instance even nation states have had a role (in the global sphere states
would appear to have accepted a role as "interested" but not determining
parties). But in the area of IG who is representing the broader public
interest (certainly not a very narrowly based and non-representative in any
sense, CS)--including for example, those with no or limited access; those
for whom access is unavailable or highly restricted because of geography,
disability or cost; or those with access but who are lacking in the
opportunity to make effective use of that access in support of better living
circumstances for themselves and their families and communities.

These questions are neither rhetorical nor theoretical but in fact go to the
very heart of our and IG activties overall.

Mike Gurstein