[governance] THIRD DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Miguel Alcaine miguel.alcaine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 09:10:19 EST 2010

Dear all,

I have made small suggestions with the intention to strengthen the
statement.

Additionally, If you had the opportunity to read what I wrote about
"Enhanced Cooperation" (EC) for the preparation of the XII CSTD meeting last
may in the website www.cstdn.org, you can see that I believe EC needs at
least 2 parts: 1) A favorable environment (organisations which offer a
democratic, transparent and multi-stakeholder environment. Democratic
meaning participation, accountability and review process on decisions) ; 2)
Institutional and personal capacity building, mainly for stakeholders in
developing countries. A third possible part is to increase awareness of IG
and IG4D, particularly in developing countries.

Do you think is worthwhile to include the ideas above?

Best,

Miguel Alcaine

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> It will be impossible to simultaneously satisfy people like Parminder and
> people like McTim, so here is my attempt at dissatisfying them equally.  The
> biggest changes are the substitution of a new preamble for the old one, and
> deletion of the "do nothing" bullet point under numbered-paragraph 2.  Let's
> continue to have your comments as we try and reach some common ground.
>
> --- begins ---
>
> The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (CS-IGC) regards the process
> towards enhanced cooperation as a vital step towards addressing the "many
> cross-cutting international public policy issues that require attention and
> are not adequately addressed by the current mechanisms" (Tunis Agenda para
> 68).
>
> Despite an intergovernmental mandate from WSIS to address this governance
> deficit, much remains to be done.  It is imperative that this deficit
> continue to be addressed, where appropriate through new institutional
> developments that comply with the WSIS process criteria of being
> multilateral, transparent, democratic and inclusive.
>
> We make three further points.  First, enhanced cooperation should encompass
> all Internet-related public policy issues; second, the existing arrangements
> of relevant organisations (including the Internet Governance Forum) do not
> fully implement enhanced cooperation, and thirdly whatever new arrangements
> may be put in place, civil society will *must* play an integral part in
> them, *as one of the prerequisites for their legitimacy.*

*[COMMENT: Suggested ammendments here is a good place to make the link
between enhanced cooperation, multistakeholderism and legitimacy]
*

> These points will be explained in turn:
>
> 1. Although much of the discussion of enhanced cooperation at WSIS turned
> around the narrow issue of internationalising the oversight of Internet
> naming and numbering functions, the Tunis Agenda expresses this principle
> far more broadly.  It also reminds us that the ultimate objective of our
> cooperation is to advance a people-centred, inclusive, development-oriented
> and non-discriminatory Information Society.
>
> 2. The IGF in its present form is a very important part of the enhanced
> cooperation process and the *Internet Governance arrangements*, in that
> ideally its multi-stakeholder process can help to shape decisions taken on
> Internet related public policy issues in other fora.  However the full
> realisation of enhanced cooperation will require a multi-stakeholder process
> to extend to other Internet governance organisations that do not already
> follow this model.

*[COMMENT (deletion of ideally): the word ideally weakens the argument,
giving the opportunity for others to say that IGF does not take place in an
ideal world but in the real world. Therefore, IGF is not capable of helping
to shape decisions in other fora.]
*

> There are various*, which may complement each other,* options for
> enhancing multi-stakeholder cooperation within and amongst all relevant
> organisations.  These include:
>
> * establishing a lightweight multi-stakeholder observatory process perhaps
> hosted under the auspices of the IGF (pursuant to its mandate in paragraph
> 72(i));
>
> * utilising a virtual and voluntary global social community or "social
> grid", linking together all Internet governance organisations, in which all
> stakeholders would participate; or
>
> * establishing a new umbrella governance institution for Internet policy
> development, with space for the participation of each stakeholder group in
> its respective role.

*[COMMENT (reasons to suggest the insertion of the phrase about
complementarity in the chapeau): option 1 and 2 can be developed together. I
believe making the appropriate link between Enhanced Cooperation and IGF is
appropriate and convenient, i.e. option 1. To my knowledge, option 1 and 2
look to help to strenghten the democratic, transparent and
multistakeholderism features in the different organisations, while option 3
can be seen as more towards the equality among States, although as reflected
here, also look to ensure the corresponding participation of all
stakeholders.]
*