[governance] New CSTD questionnaire on the IGF

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Sat Nov 6 12:38:13 EDT 2010

I do apologize for my previous emails. It is Saturday morning and I am
jetlagged. Here is a better email that I hope shows my general
brainstorming on the matter.

Greetings,

My concern is related to the lack of civil society organizations who are
NOT participating in the IGF - CSTD process but who are quite active in
the IG field at the national level, regional level, within the OECD,
WIPO, Council of Europe, European Commission, ASEAN, APEC, or other
processes. A discussion on the future of the IGF pop up in the last ICCP
meeting at the OECD.

This discussion touch several areas beyond CIR, like Access to Knowledge
/ Digital Education (copyright cops copyright enforcement agenda),
Cybersecurity (Privacy, Freedom of Expression, Association), Child
Protection (Privacy, freedom of expression).  A decision about weather
or not a global IG space should be created to discuss global Internet
Public Policy issues with binding agreements need to include, not only
those who are members of IGC and participate in their own personal
capacity, but also those organizations and individuals who are also
working on the field, and who are not involved in the politics of what
is going on here. Yes, the Librarians, the A2K movement, the privacy
advocate community, the actual FOE organizations.

I also want to share with all of you that as of now, I can't grasp the
overall politics beyond what IGC members said on the list, and what it
has been published on the media. <1> While I can guess the position of
different or some governments, I can't grasp the opinions of other
governments, and other stakeholders. I want to know why and what was the
reasoning behind the question about weather or not we were able to
choose some technical representatives and the CSTD were not able to do
so directly. Are there governments which are not ok with it?

<1> Controversy Over New IGF Mandate, UN Role In Internet Governance
http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2010/11/04/controversy-over-new-igf-mandate-un-role-in-internet-governance/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ip-watch+%28Intellectual+Property+Watch%29

A few thoughts for an early Saturday morning

Katitza
     governance at lists.cpsr.org