[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Nov 6 11:08:57 EDT 2010

On Saturday 06 November 2010 08:01 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Parminder:
>
> A bit tendentious, as usual.

I am happy to return the compliment :). You pulled this graph from the
wikipedia site, but did not give the link to the whole page where the
picture is much more mixed. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India )

> While the overall number of poor in India is very large, as a
> percentage of the total population it has halved since the 1970s and
> the slope of the downward line seems to have increased since economic
> liberalization.

Things have been improving no doubt slowly  over long periods. But it is
hardly satisfactory. And absolute numbers do count, dont they? Some
indicators like malnutritions and other health related statistics may
even be stagnant. Indian incidently is called the hunger capital of the
world with mal-nutrition stats worse then that of Sub Saharan africa.

 From the same wikipedia article you saw

    The World Bank <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Bank>, citing
    estimates made by the World Health Organization
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization>, states
    "that about 49 per cent of the world's underweight children, 34 per
    cent of the world's stunted children and 46 per cent of the world's
    wasted children, live in India." The World Bank also noted that
    "[w]hile poverty is often the underlying cause of malnutrition in
    children, the superior economic growth experienced by South Asian
    countries compared to those in Sub-Saharan Africa, has not
    translated into superior nutritional status for the South Asian
    child."^[57]
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India#cite_note-56>

> Tell me if this statistical graph is incorrect:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BPL_Data_GOI.png

As mentioned above, If you read the same wikipedia entry  from where you
took this graph you will see that the picture is much more complex and
contested. To see more about these contestations about India's poverty
statistics see http://www.prb.org/Articles/2010/indiapoverty.aspx .

I am not selling India's poverty, but the widespread notions about
resurgent India breaking away all barriers need to be taken with some
salt, as they say. And so is the IT revolution. There is this tendency
to see everything IT automatically and neutrally useful to all, an
argument used to keep political stuff away from this arena. It is in
this regard that the India's poverty argument was originally made. This
argument is to that extent very relevant to the present discussion
whether we need appropriate global Internet related public policies or not.

> Most sources I see, admittedly second-hand, indicate that the
> bureaucratic "license Raj" in India stifled growth after the 1950s and
> that poverty has decreased since the 1980s liberalizing reforms.

Yes, 'license raj' had become bad, and liberalisation has been useful.
But things are not black and white. The more recent plunges into
wholesale neoliberalism are leading to very uneven growth, and very
unsatisfactory situation vis a vis general human development levels (see
the UNDP HDR report) . Parminder