[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Nov 6 01:26:37 EDT 2010

On Saturday 06 November 2010 09:34 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this proposal is horribly government centric and hope that it is does not become the consensus of the IGC.

I took a lot of pains to state whom the proposal seeks to serve, and
whom does a studied silence on enhanced cooperation issue serves.
> A civil society caucus should not become a government serving body.
Neither should it become a body in service of anarchic global elites,
who in and through techno-fascination, seek to subvert our democratic
polities, and willy nilly serve the interests of the already dominant
(businesses, governments, classes). That is what a 'we dont know, and we
dont care' response to the 'enhanced cooperation' consultation in effect
means.
> To voluntarily surrender full control of Internet governance to governments, except for a token 'other' presence strikes me as unthinkable.

I may be wrong, but there seems to be here an underpinning of
rejection/hatred of governments - as a social institution,  without any
distinction between good ones and bad ones, and about that I will not be
able to offer much argumentation here. (BTW, a true practice of this
ideology should entail giving up of all government provided benefits and
protection, for the purpose of which ,in the present circumstances,
maybe taking up residence in Southern Afganistan will be the best
exemplar. Such an experience may be quite insightful.)

Any system systematically developing and enforcing public policies is in
effect a government. we can have a good - more inclusive, transparent,
accountable, progressive etc - government or governance system, or a bad
one.

So, can you, Avri, specifically state whether you are against the
suggested governance model or against any system of effectively
developing global public policies related to the Internet, and enforcing
them. If not the latter, which I truely hope, then what is your
suggested global model for global Internet related public policies -
which is the subject matter and the primary concern of the Tunis Agenda,
and to which the process of 'enhanced cooperation' relates. And how can
your suggested model take care of all the aspects of political
governance of the Internet, including what may be called as
'progressive' (i can discuss this term more if you want), beyond just
some narrow technical matters, which are expressly excluded from the
ambit of the enhanced cooperation as per the Tunis agenda.

Parminder