[governance] It's Time to Stop ICANN's Top-Level Domain (TLD)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Nov 5 16:42:29 EDT 2010

Hi Rafik,

Resource discovery is , simply, ³being able to find things² on the Internet.

The original reason for having domain names was that it was thought
(correctly) that it would be easier to remember the name of a site than the
IP number of the site (eg easier to remember berkeley.edu than
199.133.223.253). Thus the domain name system was born and a mechanism was
needed to map all internet addressable numbers to appropriate names.

These days the domain name is becoming less and less relevant for this task.
People use search engines, directories and apps rather than directly using
names to find things. The awkwardness of the domain name system in providing
sensible resource discovery with the internet the size it is now (let alone
what is to come) has led a lot of people to look at other ways to do this.

Ian Peter