[governance] It's Time to Stop ICANN's Top-Level Domain (TLD)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Nov 5 15:41:00 EDT 2010

I hear all the arguments as to why we should support ICANN because it is
bottom up decision making, and because there are avenues for participation
for us little people. I have also heard all the arguments as to why new TLDs
open up competition and is exactly what we should be doing and what Jon
Postel wanted.

However, none of these alter the fact that the Internet has moved a lot
quicker than ICANN, and that the new TLDs will hinder rather than help
resource discovery.

Nor will they do anything positive for internet governance. It may lead to
the establishment of an industry similar to confectionery with endless
similar varieties, but that's about it - and that's hardly an internet
governance issue, rather an industry development issue.

That the establishment of so many tlds was supported by those whose fares to
icann meetings are supported by this development is not surprising.

The fact that a lemming like "bottom up" policy development of the industry
to feed its own expansion led to this conclusion does not make it any more
valuable for internet resource discovery or meaningful for internet
development.

Whatever you think about millions of tlds - it does nothing to aid resource
discovery and will only confuse it. It also has precious little to do with
internet governance.

Perhaps the end result will be that we evolve in a more sensible direction
and ICANN is just left doing nothing of relevance to internet governance.
But given that governments are devoting so much energy to ICANN as the
mechanism for psuedo internet governance, perhaps its all a subtle trap to
divert their attention from anything meaningful?

I think Mawaki's post raises some interesting questions.

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org