[governance] It's Time to Stop ICANN's Top-Level Domain (TLD)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Nov 4 03:41:42 EDT 2010

Although I often agree with Lauren, in this case I do not.

His argument is essentially this:

  - Thing X can be used for ill purposes (among good purposes)

  - Therefore thing X must be banned.

Let's apply that to the internet:

   - The internet can be used for financial scams and ugly content.

   - Therefore the internet must be banned.

Oh that is so much fun, let's try it again:

   - Airplanes can be used to drop bombs.

   - Therefore airplanes must be banned.

We can use that silly logic over and over again and we'd end up in a
world in which everything from medicine to automobiles to food is banned.

The faux logic forgets that almost everything is a balance of good and
bad.  And it also forgets that quite often the approach for dealing with
the bad is to do the obvious: deal with the bad and not ban the thing in
which the bad is ensconced.

	--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org