[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track request

krum.jonev at dir.bg krum.jonev at dir.bg
Fri May 28 14:09:24 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am new to this list, but I would like to bring to your attention an
issue that recently appeared in Bulgaria.

The Ministry of Transport, IT and Communications announced that ICANN
has declined the Bulgarian application in the new IDN ccTLD fast-track
process, as the proposed string .бг looked too much like the existing
ccTLD of Brazil (.br).

However, the people in Bulgaria that are in favor of introducing an
IDN ccTLD are practically mad of this decision. A few user groups sent
protest letters to the Ministry, advising them to appeal the ICANN`s
decision. Others just sit and doesn't know what to do.

Therefore, I am looking for your opinion on those questions - do you
think that the string .бг "presents an unacceptably high risk of user
confusion" with .br (as said in ICANN reply); and does Bulgaria have
any chance if decides to appeal, as this is the desire of the majority
of the Internet community? There were even two proposals of imposing a
requirement for the IDN ccTLD registry, to allow only registration of
domain names that contain an unique Cyrillic letter - in this way, all
similarities would be avoided.

Thank you in advance for you time.

Kind regards,
Krum Jonev