[governance] ICANN head warns against putting Internet

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu May 27 12:14:40 EDT 2010

Dear George,

Thanks for the challenge :-) This is the topic of the whole accountability
and transparency review, as well as the consultation on meeting
organization, both currently ongoing. A few remarks though.

I'm not sure that nimbleness is the principal adjective that would come to
mind for an organization that - legitimately - is more and more developing
global policies in its specific domain, acting as the regulator of the
semantic spectrum and as the competition authority for the secondary domain
name market. The right criteria are more about trust, public interest,
inclusion and capacity to build consensus. Reactivity, capacity to keep up
with change and adapt to new challenges or even anticipate them, sure that
can probably be qualified as being nimble, but we are not in Jon Postel time
any more and you know that the picture is broader. And the challenges
higher.

But I'm not someone to shy away from your concrete question. Let me give one
single answer (in addition to the numerous comments made in writing or
orally in ICANN processes, that all point in the same direction).

Let's take nimbleness as the capacity to address and resolve, in a timely
manner, key policy issues. What could help ICANN be better at that ?

One suggestion is : a key factor of efficiency for any policy-making process
is to ask the right questions, to get out of false alternatives, as they
invariably lead to endless and inconclusive debates.

Let's take a very concrete example currently generating more than 1200
emails (so far) on the list regarding vertical integration for new gTLDs (or
vertical separation) and apologies for those on the list who are not versed
in the intricacies of ICANN-speak. The question asked by the Board is :
should there be or should there not be vertical integration/separation ? An
all or nothing alternative. Are you surprised that it only pitches opposite
vested interests one against the other, with most other stakeholders
watching helplessly ? Wouldn't the discussion be more efficient if the
question were : "when and why should there be vertical separation ? and for
what purpose ?". Maybe there is a better wording. But certainly the current
debate has started on a wrong basis.

Jovan Kurbalija once told me : "the major difficulty in Internet Governance
is closure". Being able to take decisions in a truly deliberative process
involving all stakeholders is a major challenge. No doubt about it. But
asking the right questions is critical to consensus-building and identifying
them is the priority task.

As for Adam's remarks, I have sufficiently defended the "embodiment of WSIS
Principles in Internet Governance processes" (to recall one of the mandates
of the IGF) and the participation of all stakeholders in UN organizations to
understand fully what he means. And he's right.

ICANN will strengthen its legitimacy by being every day truer to its
commitments to participatory processes and by continuing to improve them.
Governments in the Tunis Agenda (para 55) have "*recognize(d) that ** the
existing arrangements for Internet governance have worked effectively to
make the Internet the highly robust, dynamic and geographically diverse
medium that it is today, with the private sector taking the lead in
day-to-day operations, and with innovation and value creation at the edges*
". ICANN or UN is not the valid question today. The right question is : "how
to make ICANN fit for the growing tasks at hand ?"

Answering it is our common responsibility. And it needs to be answered.

Best

Bertrand