[governance] ICANN head warns against putting Internet

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu May 27 11:29:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

I can.

a. Releasing new gTLDs, without the creation of all sort of 'overarching issues' that stalled the process until at least 6 months after the new IDN ccTLDs were released and the forces of IP were sufficiently placated.

b. Listening to bottom up recommendations the first time and not giving special interests all sorts of ways to stop pervert those bottom-up process and slow them down

c. Immediately listening to protests and looking into the issue of making new gTLDs affordable (pricing being a Staff decision not subject to bottom up processes) as opposed to waiting until the last minute to make it an issue that could be accused of holding things up.

d. Not doing things the wrong way in the first place, e.g. by invitation only closed workshops on creating a global omnibus Internet security shop, thus forcing the issue to have to become a public accountability and transparency issue that will force it to take longer to the answer - which should be: no way, not with a barge pole will ICANN touch that one.

These are my favorites right off the top of my head.

There is lots that ICANN could do to become a more nimble group while improving accountability and transparency.

Just get it done.

a.

PS.

Disclaimer: Not entering the fray on whether being under UN or UN system oversight would make it more or less nimble.  Not going to get into a discussion of which is nimbler: a part-time source of my income (UN/IGF) or the source of my abiding addiction (ICANN)

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin, anyway?

     governance at lists.cpsr.org