[governance] methods was CSTD

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue May 25 07:13:08 EDT 2010

"But the IGF won't even use its the open mailing list that it already has.
 I convinced the Secretariat to create this back in 2006 (
http://intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/plenary_intgovforum.org), but it has
never been promoted to IGF participants, so nobody knows about it or uses
it."

With the greatest respect I think the perception communicated by these
sentences is one of the things at the root of many of the problems. The IGF
doesn't use its mailing list because "we" don't use the mailing list. "We"
are the IGF.

I have been following discussions elsewhere about the involvement of youth
in Internet governance. Many of them, voices of "the youth" themselves as
well, speak of the need to inform and explain and present the information in
a form which "the youth" will find palatable. It seems to me that no one is
pointing to the need for "the youth" themselves, or anyone else for that
matter, to take an interest in a phenomenon of which they must be aware and
make an effort to learn about it for its own sake. In a world which keeps
talking about "lifelong learning" there seems to be remarkably little
mention of the responsibility to learn.

I would suggest that we need to shift from passive to active thinking. "...
it has never been promoted" [this has a sub-text for me of "by whom?"] to
"we will ...", not only said but done.

Reading through this I find it sounds angry, which was not my intention. If
you hear "angry", please help me by reinterpreting as "urgent".

Deirdre

On 24 May 2010 00:19, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> On 24/05/2010, at 11:53 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
>
> > so have we been able to introduce any new working methods or ways of
> reaching outcomes in the IGC?
>
> We haven't really needed to, since the mailing list has been working for us
> (though last time, we did experiment with online polling software which
> seemed to work well). But the IGF won't even use its the open mailing list
> that it already has.  I convinced the Secretariat to create this back in
> 2006 (http://intgovforum.org/mailman/listinfo/plenary_intgovforum.org),
> but it has never been promoted to IGF participants, so nobody knows about it
> or uses it.
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Project Coordinator
> Consumers International
> Kuala Lumpur Office for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> Malaysia
> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
> CI is 50
> Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in
> 2010.
> Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer
> rights around the world.
> http://www.consumersinternational.org/50
>
> Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
> necessary.

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979