[governance] CSTD

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 23 15:01:38 EDT 2010

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> P:
> Why did it not come out stronger or more directly in favor of using the IGF for the development of GAPPs? (globally applicable public policy principles)
> --MM

For one, because I have tried often and long in this space to get civil
society to rally around some possibilities of the IGF structuring itself
to be able to do some such thing. But this has largely been unsuccessful.

It does surprise me often that many who keep asking for
multi-stakeholder systems to have strong policy role, instead of
intergov models, at the same time do not support IGF making any progress
towards making recommends, which is the least that would be implied for
it to take up the role you mention above. (I have tried my best for it,
and still do. We supported a CSTD working group with likely
multistakeholder involvement to suggest specific improvements in the IGF
which hopefully should be in the direction of making it more purposeful.)

Almost the last straw was the move earlier this year towards perhaps
even doing away with the MAG, which is the only structures part of the
IGF whereby it can move in the directions I, and presumably you, would
like it to.

We continue to believe that IGF should have a very strong role in
development of globally applicable public policy principles.

Also, our statement had a basic advocacy focus towards seeking some
movement on EC, and we did not want to dilute it, especailly when many
others were strongly using the ruse of the IGF to resist any such
movement. Our statement was coupled with a lot of lobbying with
developing country govs and others. I think we would see an open
consultation meeting on EC to be called by the Secretary General before
the end of the year.

Parminder