[governance] On the continuation of the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed May 12 03:54:00 EDT 2010

On 12/05/2010, at 2:08 PM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> I asked somebody skilled in writing and reading such documents for clarification regarding para 18, which I found difficult to understand.
> The way I read it, the SG claims authority over any improvements of the MAG. This authority he then delegates to the secretariat or the IGF participants themselves. If this reading is correct, I would find it quite extraordinary. But let us not forget, the note is just a draft and the GA may ask for changes.

Although I doubt this authority exists yet (and even he seems to doubt it, saying that the improvement of the MAG "may be within the authority of the Secretary-General"), it can't be doubted that once the initial mandate is up, the General Assembly could grant the Secretary-General new power over the MAG's workings.  So, that's where I see the recommendation in 29(c) coming from.  More of my personal observations on the SG's statement are at:

http://igfwatch.org/discussion-board/recommendations-on-the-extension-of-the-igf

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org