[governance] On the continuation of the IGF

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue May 11 18:15:27 EDT 2010

A couple of points of interest on a first read -

Civil society got quite a lot of what it asked for. Two points we may want
to discuss further

>That the General Assembly reaffirm the multiple dimensions of the IGF agenda
and provide guidance on public policy issues related to Internet governance that
should be given particular consideration in the next five years;

Are there matters we should lobby on here?

>That the General Assembly encourage the IGF to produce and offer to the Member
States useful capacity- building outputs, such as off-line/online training and
toolkits aiming at greater awareness and better understanding of Internet
governance related issues to facilitate national and international public policy
making.

We now have outputs. The document also suggests that more might happen in
this area when

>That improvements to the format, functions and operations of the IGF be
considered at its sixth meeting in 2011.

Another target for some concrete suggestions?

Anyway I am interested in what others think and also what the general
response was at the meeting in Geneva.

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org