[governance] Friday morning... (Arabic Domain Name) Some Background

S. Subbiah subbiah at i-dns.net
Fri May 7 14:12:13 EDT 2010

Thank you all for pointing out the early history of modern IDN since its
inception in 1997 in Singapore. And it is indeed great that ICANN has
moved us a step forward in this 13 year saga finally. It is also true
that the history posted is only upto 2007 and since then much work has
been done by IDNABIS at IETF and also within ICANN.

But I would like to put this in context for the record using some
highlights. In 1999 after ICANN Chair was approached (after both IDN abd
IDNemail were developed and tested in Asian labs in hundreds of
languages) the response was "Please go learn English". Then Asians from
a dozen countries (the same CNNIC, TWNIC, JPNIC etc as today)
particpated in a year long Asia-wide testbed that I oversaw. By then,
collective expense was well over a few million dollars and a hundred
people working on implementations and testing across Asia. Ironically
news of this spread beyond Asia and I recall a Prof. Zoman (formerly
head of Saudi NIC - the same that launched today) contacted us and we
responded that we did  not have finances yet to accomodate non-Asian
scripts for now. Ditto Russian interest. After a year, commercial
deployment via i-dns.net (a Singapore university spin-off that I
co-founded) began based on an in-country-resolution only approach (with
downloadable plug-ins for out of country) starting in 1999 with a
Minister's approval in Taiwan. Just  then IETF took an interest, after
having shown little interest the year before and started on its much
delayed path to IDNA in 2003 with the Singapore team playing a
leadership role. In 2000 and 2001 at least 15 in-country full IDN.IDN
deployments in much of  the IDN world (example Chinese, India, Israel,
Russia, Thailand, Korea etc) were launched with local Information or in
some cases Prime Ministers in attendance. Thousands of articles were
published in the world's best journals/tv in the native langauges as
well as mainstream English media - much of the links are in the
press-room at www.i-dns.net.

Then Verisign licensed this technology and went ahead to launch
half-IDN and half-ASCII hybrid domains - IDN.ascii -  in late 2000. It
was only then ICANN had no choice but to enter the IDN issue. While
unable to stop the Verisign launch at the last minute, they basically
neutered IDN.ascii by forcing it to be only usable via plug-ins. A
million people who bought names never got it to work. There was never an
apology from anyone in the West to all the millions in the East who
bought them. Many registars went bankrupt and there were goverment fraud
investigations in Korea relating to these Korean.ascii names. Finally
for the few who hung on renewing the names, they worked in 2007 and 2008
when Microsoft and others fixed their browsers - and that had little to
do with ICANN.

With ICANN's entry and committees to look into IDN.IDN in 2001 the
locally-deployed world paused its efforts (thru highly active
coordinating establishments like MINC and even some interest from ITU).
They took  ICANN's commitments to coordinate this at face value and also
simultaneoulsy waited for the perenially almost-ready IDNA standard from
IETF. Then things dragged and  ICANN was busy with its own internal
non-third world issues. Neverthless it continued to mouth commitment
while in reality it lost interest in IDN.IDN citing various relatively
minor excuses (most of these of its own making).

The human cost was fairly enormous - some of the other IDN companies
that had emerged globally went bankrupt - we took a big hit (even within
Verisign most of the IDN went through large turnover and changes),
people lost jobs, risk-taking early-adopter country-nic chiefs and
politicans got fired, people postponed having children, many marriages
dissolved. By my estimate collectively to date about US$200 million in
today's dollars was lost by investors - perhaps as much as $100M on the
Singapore side (I raised much of it). While not belittling those with
relatively safe jobs who spend enormous time particpating in efforts
like IDNBIS often in their spare time, I  would like to point out that
these personal sacrifices/losses are likley to be outshadowed by the
just-mentioned human cost.

By 2004 some of these in-country efforts had fizzled but a few in the
stronger countries grew stronger while ICANN its safe to say pretended
not to notice. Countries like China that badly needed it decided to grow
their in-country deployments toward 100% usability within. By 2005/6
they had hundreds of millions of users being able to use the hundreds of
thousands of issued full IDN.IDNs. Ironically, at one point even in
Egypt, a commercial Arabic.arabic launch with local ISPs, with Ministry
knowledge was usable by 60% of Internet users by 2002 and still now
(gTLDs, not the now announced IDN ccTLD). By 2007 - significant use
relative to the country-size existed with upwards of 70% region-wide
usability (users who could resolve it without a plugin) existed in a few
countries - like China, Korea, Israel, even 2 small Gulf arabic
countries etc. These accounted for at least 25% of the world's
population that truly needs IDN.IDN and live in non-latin script
countries. (This non-ICANN sanctioned efforts reach may have since grown
from 25% and closer to 40% of the IDN.IDN needy with more launches ahead
of ICANN).  When the well-established Chinese effort was "discovered" by
Western media in 2007, ICANN's embarrased response was to say it was
techncially not true to the media. It was quickly disproven by impartial
Western Internet engineer researchers who tested - but these accounts
received only limited media coverage. Finally this embarrasment and the
sure knowledge that large isalnds have already gone off to do their own
thing and it would be difficult to bring  them back, spurred ICANN's
final interest in IDN in 2007/8.

Even then ICANN found it impossible to get its act together as fast as
it had promised and it has taken until mid-2010 to put just the first
stage of the first part into action - the fast-track within ccTLDs. The
slow track is many years  away and the gTLD space is even further away
owing to ICANN's inisistence policy-wise to merge new ASCII gTLDS
(mostly not needed urgently beyond what we already have) with new IDN
TLDs (long needed urgently). It is this period from 2007 that is
well-documented and publicised by ICANN that is missing in the "outdated
write-up". IDNABIS was re-activated at IETF to improve the IDNS 2003
standrad that even then at birth was knowingly made techncially
less-restrivtive since the engineers did not wish to define how it was
deployed politically. But ICANN used that in 2003 to launch further
IDN.ascii deploymnents but crucially without enforcing the policy
recomendations from IETF. And yes thereby causing a big mess, that now
the IETFBIS group had to go in and clean up and make the standard more
restrictive, along with other things. It was necessary work and thank
you. Interestingly all the non-ICANN deployments since 1999 have always
deployed IDN in a technically more restrictive manner than IDNA's
recomendation or ICANN's deployment and this mess was and is mostly
avoided. Everyone knows ICANN botched the deployment and that history
(we have 2 million plus names out there that they cannot take back with
these potential problems) and the need for "backward comnatibility" is
still making current deployment strategy less than ideal.

However the main concept and approach to IDN is unchanged from the
original Singapore invention in 1997 and ICANN's refusal to consider
putting it in the root in early 1999 at ICANN's first meeting. While it
was improved on the margins, the deployment by ICANN  post 2003 standard
was abominable and the problems would not have been any worse than if
the original without improvements had been inserted in root in 1999 in
some languages. The gains for culture and language around the world
would have far offset any problems. We helped lose a generation of
native non-latin script speaking ability to English/Internet while
waiting for ICANN to acknowledge the relatively obvious.

So yes its a great day for the world - but its been a great day for
sometime in China and elsewhere for years. It is simply inexcusable to
start its main press release on its site saying "For the first time in
the history of the Internet.... ". (see www.icann.org). Especailly since
ICANN's role has been at best mixed and arguably amongst all the players
involved ICANN was the one who delayed it the most (when it should have
been the other way around). At any rate an organisation that insists on
airbrushing and hiding the truth and not admitting the facts has in my
opinion a dubious future. And it continues to take credit by vagueness
and misinformation. A running joke in the Asian IDN community where a
bunch of pan-Asian nerds (Indian, Chinese, Malaysian, Korean, Japanese
and other engineers) came together from all over Asia as never before
and actually contributed an Internet or IT standard without Western help
is that IDN was invented by a Western blonde.

The irony of it all.

But still another great day for IDN - a term I coined - and a great day
for the real reason why so many primarily Asians and other non-Latin
speakers went well before ICANN with IDNs: Some for money/fame  but all
for the desire driven by much pride to make their own language relavant
for themselves and their relatives and countrymen who did not have the
privilege to learn English.

And again thank you for pointing out the early history.

Cheers

Subbiah

     governance at lists.cpsr.org