[governance] SECOND DRAFT suggested statement on MAG's future

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:05:44 EDT 2010

I don't think the MAG meeting on the third day will be open.

As for the notion of a multi-structured MAG, this would clearly reintroduce
silos in one of the rare structures that function in a collegial way.

Using constituencies for the selection of MAG members is one thing and some
thinking can be given to this, in order to reduce the importance of the
"black box". But once people are designated/nominated, isn't it better to
have them function as a single group ?

Best

Bertrand

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> On 6 May 2010, at 03:16, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>
> > Maybe a step forward (regardless of the reception of your idea on this
> list) would be for you to post it as an individual as an input to the May
> open consultation and MAG meeting.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to point out that there not really a consultation in May, but
> rather a two day planning meeting which will be focused on planning for the
> program and the workshops.   This is intended as a open working session like
> last years planning meeting.
>
> On the third day, there will be a meeting of the MAG which I believe is
> open but which will not really be a consultation - its structure is up to
> the chair and MAG to decide at the time.  I expect it to be more like a MAG
> meeting then a consultation.
>
> While there may be some time for a few statements, I don't know yet, the
> best way to make sure the IGC's points get made is to have some of the MAG
> members who are also IGC members champion the proposal (or at least bring it
> up) within the MAG.
>
> a.

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et Européennes/ French Ministry of Foreign
and European Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")