[governance] European Parliament report on Internet governance

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Fri Mar 19 17:39:39 EDT 2010

Dear members of the list

There is at least a forth reason to the "desastreous ITU transparency", curiously forgot in the forwarded message : the absence of CS in the ITU's bodies !

This is a serious paradox since multistakeholderism is the mainstay of the WSIS and the ITU, who is in charge of its organization, is all but MS ! Unfortunately, this paradox wasn't seriously challenged by the CS, neither during the WSIS itself, nor during its follow-up. The reason is probably because there are a handful of (very) rich NGOs who can afford to pay the expensive membership fares for being an "ITU associate member", a species specially and recently created inside of the ITU for a cosmetic purpose : "look, how the ITU is open to CS" !

Another reason -and a major one- ignored in this mail, is that the payment of its 650 or so "sector members" is a bare necessity for the ITU, since its financial resources are critical and its budget is in the "red zone". However, it is true that the "sector members" are all heavily involved in the ICT market and use the ITU for buying influence, mainly through the standardization process.

Best regards

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT - France