[governance] Closed concepts

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 17 13:18:34 EDT 2010

It is truly amazing the closed nature of the Internet Governance.  The only answer to the Why? is very bad news.  As a person, I know that when I isolate and do not share my intentions with others this leads down a bad path. It is only amplified when applied to group conscience. The terms "open" Transparent and "accountable" have truly lost all sincere meaning in the last decade. (I must at this point appreciate the NICs)

The Idea of the "closed shop" is just too obviously bad to invoke any sympathy therefor. Whether it be for freedom of Ideas or Freedom for work or Study or Worship isolation is bad. The scariest part of this notion of impenetrable quarantine of thought and debate is what it tells us about those on the inside. It tells us quite clearly that those on the inside are afraid of what is on the outside. Afraid it will weaken their position. Afraid they will have to work harder to learn more. Afraid that their positions will not withstand scrutiny. Afraid of the light.

I do not relish or trust or even want to be near decisions made in fear.  If BoD or lists or forums or conferences are closed it speaks volumes of those closing them.  My buddy basically said; If your light is true and good, let it shine before men.* On the otherhand if your intentions are disrespectful, shameful, ignorant and greedy hide them well.
Eric

* I know he should have said "others" Ok, truth is, that I said that, I paraphrased. Please be happy on this fine Irish day.