[governance] Strangeness in the IGF programme

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri Mar 5 03:58:28 EST 2010

Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> Hi Jean, this message is helping me a lot to get in synch with the
> discussion, which I tried to follow in the last few weeks and could not.
> I think what your wrap-up of the debate so far should as well be posted
> in the igf-members list.
>
> --c.a.

Hi Carl,

thanks, this is encouraging.
Here some more impressions of the debate around key messages. In the
beginning I thought this was merely a symbolic controversy since
"messages" as such won't change the rules and resources that constitute
Internet governance in its present form. "Key messages" might be one of
these "discursive objects" that allow people to gather behind a
position, differentiate themselves from people with different positions,
and feel good about siding with the right people.

But there is more to it this debate. It also concerns the questions of
how and in which form we create "output" from IGF meetings. Would it be
in the form of condensed summaries which reflect various positions? Or
would such messages rather focus on the common ground between those in
the room?

Another important point concerns unwanted side-effects. Some of those
who are sceptical about this idea argue that messages may change the
whole character of IGF meetings because open debates could be
transformed into negotiation exercises. The example of the UK IGF was
brought up. It seems the participants of the UK meeting spent a lot if
not most of the time arguing about the correct message.

While I am in favor of using messages of whatever sort as a step towards
more tangible outcomes, I see the risk of such unwanted side-effects.

jeanette

The debate

     governance at lists.cpsr.org