R: [governance] If web-platforms are "criminally responsible for

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Mar 4 14:55:43 EST 2010

In message
<95227A668FFBB141A238AE53582A8E11E2E173 at VEXNODE2.man.provincia.mi.it>,
at 12:44:59 on Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Fiorello Cortiana
<f.cortiana at provincia.milano.it> writes
>I think we need an "Internet Bill of Roghts" adopted with a multilevel
>and multistakeholder process capable to harmonize the Universal
>Declaration of Human Rights, the different Constitutions and the self
>codes adopted by  companies

Would such a "Bill of Rights" include the concept that people have a
right to be safe on the Internet, and therefore the authorities
(whatever that implies) need the tools to rid us of criminals and
purveyors of anti-social behaviour?

Or would it embrace the idea that everyone has a right to do whatever
they please - even if someone perceives a harm to others?

Perhaps something in between... but where do we draw that line in the
sand? Especially when different societies (and different people within
the same societies) have different ideas about what constitutes harm.

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org