[governance] Parminder's exchange with Bertrand

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Mar 4 07:48:16 EST 2010

Milton

There is no effort to artificially separate the economic aspects of our
lives from social, political and cultural. They are thoroughly enmeshed.

The point is whether  we agree or not that large scale global share
capital is structurally organized to be insulated as much as possible
from human qualities. (Do you deny that global capital and financial
systems systematically follow  this logic as resulting in higher and
higher efficiency of capital organization and movement -  and
increasingly so, of which the recent  financial meltdown was one result,
making it necessary for the world community to sit up and take notice.
The corrective measures were in the form of greater 'political'
controls/ regulations - which denotes real human quality checks on
increasing disconnection of finance/ capital from human systems.)

If this is so, how would you say that such global share capital should
have a political say or STAKE, as part of MS political systems, which
need to be dealing with real human (ok, individual if you want!) issues
and human situations.

 >But how would you feasibly and productively lock anything or anyone
associated with _all_ corporations in the ICT >industry from a public
dialogue of that sort?

One intends to lock no one away from public dialogs, but only from
exercising political role as parts of proposed MS structures. This back
and forth and confusion between right to be part of a public dialogue
and having political legitimacy in an MS structure is one of the most
important confusions in MS discussions.

 sooner or later the school district is going to purchase some
 >products. public monies are going to be allocated and spent. Expertise
which is concentrated in business (for a >good reason - the expertise is
valuable) will ahve to be tapped.

This is the second most significant confusions in MS discussions (partly
because this model id often seen to come from a background of technical
governance) when ' a source of expertise' is confused with a party with
real/ live political interest/ stake and thus probably political
legitimacy. I expect you to agree that having expertise on a subject,
which can and should always be tapped for decision making, does not
translate in any way to a political stake. I also saw references to this
confusion in Bertrand's MS formulation - 'anyone who has something to
contribute should be let in' kind of. Also goes against Ostrom's
principle 1 of common resources management concerning definition of real
stakes of a party in a governance issue.

Parminder