[governance] Strangeness in the IGF programme

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Mar 4 06:53:15 EST 2010

Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>> This is not true. Right now, we do have quite a lively and important
>> discussion on the MAG list, and it would be good if more people
>> participated in it.
>
> Nothing like in the past...

I beg to differ, Carlos, I think the MAG has one its most important
debates ever at the moment.

The debate concerns one paragraph of the first draft of the programme
paper:

"There were calls for tangible outcomes involving the issuing of
messages from the IGF. The Chairman’s Report of the Sharm El Sheikh
meeting points in that direction.  It refers to a message addressing the
needs of people with disabilities which, at the Session Chair’s request,
was endorsed by acclamation. Similar outcomes could be envisaged also in
future meetings. It was suggested that such messages should come out of
each of the sessions.  For this purpose, a set of rapporteurs could be
appointed to publish, in their own names, the key messages from
sessions.  These could then be put on line in a page that allowed other
participants to comment on the key messages."

The MAG discusses the concept and the term of "key messages": Is it
feasible to summarize meetings in the form of messages (all of them,
just main sessions or just workshops) ? Is the term "key" appropriate or
not? Is it appropriate for the MAG to suggest a response to these
issues? Is it appropriate not to address this issue? Etc, etc.

This debate is very important because it concerns the political
authority and weight of multistakeholder processes both on the national
and the transnational level: Are structures such as the IGF allowed to
evolve and experiment (ah, that word again...) with various forms of
consensus building or are they tolerated only within the confines of
exchanging opinions in a non-committal manner?

The relevance of this debate trancends the draft of the programme paper.
Pity that there might not be much time left to see this debate bear fruits!

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org