[governance] If web-platforms are "criminally responsible for

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Mar 4 05:13:54 EST 2010

In message <4B8EC258.3030507 at polito.it>, at 21:11:04 on Wed, 3 Mar 2010,
J.C. DE MARTIN <demartin at polito.it> writes
>I was mainly thinking of the many politicians that in Italy and France
>(and perhaps elsewhere) claim that the Internet is a lawless place,
>that "Internet is like the Far West" and that, of course, "we must put
>an end to such unlawful situation". Hence, the HADOPI law and other
>enlightened proposals.
>
>A reaction to that is to remark that it is simply not true: all the
>provisions of the civil and criminal code, in fact, apply online as
>they apply offline. There may be issues with enforcement, but certainly
>not with lack of laws and rules - at that (national) level.

While I agree that "normal" laws also apply to the Internet, these often
prove to be worthless when victim, perpetrator and service provider are
in three different jurisdictions - which is more serious than a simple
problem with "cross border enforcement", because sometimes the law
itself differs in these three places.

There are also significant issues of interpretation, eg when local laws
ban things such as "advertisements" (perhaps for tobacco or
child-adoption) and although advertisements in newspapers and on TV are
usually clear cut, online there is quite some debate about it (even for
example saying that a domain name could be an advertisement):

www.adopt-a-child-here.com

[Please let us not discuss the merits of such bans and interpretations,
but they do exist].

And some issues don't seem to be well covered by existing laws - I heard
about one today, where 'hackers' have attacked a gaming site and
"stolen" virtual items such as extra weapons and personas that the
gamers had bought from the hosting company. Good luck in getting anyone
to easily determine responsibility for a remedy in this case.

In the face of all this doubt and uncertainty, it's little wonder that
legislators try to dream up new laws; although they rarely pause to
think whether laws are very successful in changing behaviour.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org