[governance] Strangeness in the IGF programme

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:26:40 EST 2010

Very valid points to some extent in understanding though we may be at
different levels of understanding on similar issues within developing
and developed contexts. Things do happen for a reason and we must not
forget that there are two other stakeholders from the
multistakeholderism in the discussions and if there is one thing
suggested by CS, there is a lot of twisting and rephrasing done by the
other two groups with their own examples and evidence and at the end
of the day the Chair tries to strike a balance that again is a notion
accepted by members of the multistakeholderism so only one group
doesn't drive the process and it stays mutual.

But Milton, these are ideas and not specifically enforced terms like
main theme topics. Out of the three mutually decided main theme
suggests, IG4D found its way in, rights again went under freedom of
expression which again is under a main theme itself and so forth. We
can only make progress as many of you have shared with me in the past
that the process is a slow one and yes its a very slow one with so
many multistakeholders on the table.

With the amount of topics being discussed in that time frame of two
days, we must accept that the multistakeholderism tries to touch base
on as many inputs from the open consultations and their groups as
possible and that is what is reflected in the program paper and of
course even myself haven't been so happy with the outcome though I
have a sense of belief evolving that with the inclusion of IG4D as a
main theme, it is a matter of time only that other topics will see the
daylight too.

Once again, event though I tried to state my problem and you gave a
very valid clarification but myself and many people in my part of the
world cannot understand these competitive behaviours unless informed
stakeholders like your kind self bring these up in the IGF and open
consultations. Everyone has a role to play and the programming by the
MAG is not perfect but is not final unless it is locked by the
secretariat.

Maybe from your standpoint I am unable to explain theactual context
about Internet Security as part of the Mobile topic but I am pretty
much sure that it was shared in the context of developing countries,
mobile access to the Internet and then the issues of security with
relevance to that and is only a topic suggestion for discussion which
will be stimulated by the stakeholders themselves and might not be
there in future IGFs (if the mandate is renewed).

I don't know if you have noted on the IGF website or not but the MAG
is also to decide its future in May if the mandate is renewed so a lot
is bound to change and improve so lets stay open for change until and
at IGF!!!!

--
Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org