[governance] Parminder's exchange with Bertrand

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 13:11:53 EST 2010

Milton,

Do you actually mean a sort of "personal sovereignty" principle, that would
enable individuals to gather in numerous human groupings, including nations,
but also business and non-profit entities ? so that the unifying governance
unit becomes stakeholders of various sizes but with equal status instead of
three (or four) separate and siloed stakeholder groups ?

B.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> From: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond [ocl at gih.com]
>
> > - governments: law and order
> > - business: economy and money
> >- civil society: conscience
> >
> >Any social ecosystem requires all three to work. Take one out and either
> >the system will fail, tear itself apart, or reach an untenable extreme.
> >That's why I believe in multi-stakeholderism.
>
> Nice formulation, Olivier. But suppose we called it "popular sovereignty"
> and "individual rights" instead of "multistakeholderism" -  would that not
> allow individuals, in various aggregations, to produce the appropriate mix
> of law, order, economy and conscience? Is not the division into three
> estates (with millions of individuals overlapping and participating in two
> or more at the same time) artificial?
>
> --MM____________________________________________________________
>     governance at lists.cpsr.org

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et Européennes/ French Ministry of Foreign
and European Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")