[governance] Strangeness in the IGF programme

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:07:11 EST 2010

Hi Milton,

There are moments for many to raise their blood pressures and trust me
it happens across the IGF :o) By the way, the MAG looks into issues
proposed by stakeholders during open consultations or supporting their
stakeholder group's interests as stakeholder member groups of the
multistakeholderism reflecting those in the program paper through
consensus. An example is the IG4D inclusion that received good support
for inclusion by a good mutual consensus.

As far as I can recall, the aspect of Mobile Telephony and Internet
Security didn't come in the form you specified and I think the example
of VOIP is a bit of a narrow way of looking at it. It came with
specific reference to the developing countries and some quoted
examples that encouraged its inclusion were similar to what we face in
Pakistan. This comes from the way we people access the Internet in the
developing world despite having the Internet infrastructure but no
electricity to power it.

Most of my interaction in the lists comes through my accessing the
Internet through my meagre Nokia cell phone (without touch-screen or
qwerty keyboard features) because most of the time I don't have
electricity due to the prevailing energy crisis in Pakistan. I am in
an urban setting of Lahore and it is much worse are the conditions for
our rural regions that comprises 66% of national population of over
180 million citizens and sometimes have power for less than a few
single digit hours.

I also pay a much higher cost to connect through a mobile network to
the Internet as opposed to my ADSL provider. For 1MB on my cell, I pay
Rs.150 per MB almost equivalent to approx. USD $2.00 whereas I pay Rs.
1200 equivalent to approx. USD $14 for my ADSL per/month with a 20 GB
cap. When you compare this, I am paying 8 times more for access on my
cell as opposed to the  direct Internet connectivity with similar
usage. This is one way of looking at it.

When I connect to the Internet over the cell phone network, I am
exposed to the issues of another carrier/network medium so that's two
layers of connectivity on a mobile/cellular network. With the issues
of connecting to the Internet over the mobile networks, the issue of
Internet Security can also be looked at that what are the layers of
Internet Security in interplay with the mobile networks and I think
everyone present wanted to have a look at Internet Security issues
with relevance to Internet Connectivity through cellular networks.

Trust me most of the topics included in the program paper have no
conspiracy theory attached to them and were suggestions with a bit of
more discussion backed by more reasoning in light of stakeholder
inputs and the fact remains, we aren't the only stakeholder group in
their, there are governments and private sector too as well as
international organizations. The program paper intends to facilitate
opportunities for dialogue with mutual consensus.

--
Regards.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org