[governance] IGF and TLDs

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Jun 29 16:44:56 EDT 2010

Dear all,

a recent exchange with Avri Doria rises an interesting point. As
Civil Society (not as ISOC) what is a TLD? In which way is it related
to the sole Internet? In which way is it related to the sole ICANN?

URI/IRI are built in using domain names or other kind of identifiers.
They are documented in RFC 3986 (URI) and RFC 3987 (IRI).

URLs are the use of a general concept (URI/IRI) by the Internet; the
same as URC could be used for TV Channels, or URF for Radio
Frequencies, and URA for network addresses.

There is a growing list of planned TLDs at http://registries.tel/. I suggest:

1. we send them information about all the TLD projects we may know to
the guy who started it: jean at guillon.tel.
2. the "DAG" is presented by ICANN or by others as a candidate RFC
subject to the IETF review and Last Call.

The main problem created by the ISOCANN enhanced cooperation lonesome
attitude is their lack of interoperability with other URI resolution systems.

jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org