[governance] Update on City TLD Governance and Best Practices workshop proposal for IGF Vilnius

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sun Jun 27 15:46:34 EDT 2010

With the IGF Vilnius Open Consultation beginning tomorrow, here's an update on my efforts on behalf of a proposed City TLD Governance and Best Practices Workshop. I'd appreciate advice as to any steps I might take to facilitate its acceptance.

Over the past couple of months I've contacted directly, and, via this and a few other lists, several hundred people inviting participation on the City TLD Workshop. From an expertise perspective, I've received confirmations from an exceptional group. Listed in order of their acceptance, the prospective participants are Wolfgang Kleinwächter, Dirk Krischenowski, Bertrand de La Chapelle, Werner Staub, Thomas Schneider, Hong Xue, Sébastien Bachollet, Hawa Diakite, Ana Cristina Amoroso das Neves, Jonathan Shea (via remote participation), Izumi Aizu.

With my first in-person participation on a TLD workshop having taken place at the 2006 Prague Studienkreis, I knew there was enough expertise to make the panel productive with the arrival of Wolfgang's acceptance. And as each new one arrived, I saw layer upon later of expertise being added to the workshop.

I've also received a "Yes, if it fits with my other panels" acceptance from a highly desired panelist. As well, I've three outstanding invites: to someone from the U.S. government to comment on the impact city TLDs might have on urban affairs, particularly regionalization. If nothing comes through, perhaps an existing panelist might comment on that. The New York City government's response, "if there was a definite application filing time we would surely be able to arrange something" might change if the ICANN timeline is clearer by September. The third outstanding invite, to someone from the common pool resource community, is one I'm very hopeful about getting a positive response. Question: What is the status of the participant list going forward: can it be changed, do I continue the pursuit?

As we approach Vilnius my plan is to reach out to global cities considering TLDs, request questions and share these with panelists in preparation.

For tomorrow's meeting, I'll be participating through the remote channels. I'd appreciate any of you who will be in Geneva speaking up for the City TLD workshop when appropriate. Beyond the fruitful topic and great participants, you might point out we should have good technical scores: reasonable geographic and gender balance and both moderators at the ready.

If you have a question or feel I've missed something, please let me know.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt

Thomas Lowenhaupt, Founder & Chair
Connecting.nyc Inc.