[governance] Utterly Asinine

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jun 18 20:42:11 EDT 2010

Thank you for this quote.

The whole approach is based upon a wrong understanding of what the
Internet (and moreover, the Intersem [the internet of subjects])
broadband is. The matter discussed is physical broadband. The
Internet broadbad and above is virtual. This means that physical
broadband carries rough data. The Internet carries information, i.e.
the difference between data I ignore and data I know. There are
tremendous possibilities to reduce the internet content exchange
which mostly today packetise rough data, and ignore the information
included in its datagrams. Same for the Intersem which is only
interested in meaning.

This is precisely why netneutrality is needed to support and protect
true broaduse vs. broadband. Let consider a music file and a future
technology which would resolve files into PI decimals. Either you
send a big file needing high bandwidth,or you send the size of the
file and the starting PI decimal after which PI decimals are
identical to the data of the file (every possible file is contained
in PI decimals = two long numbers sent on one side, the whole file on
the on the other. If the big file is sent before my short indications
and delays them, it will go faster. This is why  blocking net
neutrality is blocking innovation. This is a new dangerous area after
innovation for the dominant stakeholders and they respond with
"status quo". If you want a serious analysis about  the barrier to
R&D on the Internet, starting with RFC 3869 from the IAB (just look
at the general remarks).

In RFC 3869, IAB states: "The principal thesis of this document is
that if commercial funding is the main source of funding for future
Internet research, the future of the Internet infrastructure could be
in trouble.  In addition to issues about which projects are funded,
the funding source can also affect the content of the research, for
example, towards or against the development of open standards, or
taking varying degrees of care about the effect of the developed
protocollson the other traffic on the Internet."

jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org