[governance] Knight Commission on public polocy: "Net neutrality

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jun 17 07:07:41 EDT 2010

Thanks for this Rui. The following quote is rather pithy and instructive

"envision(ing) a meaningful public life that lies beyond both the market
and our supposedly "unfettered" digital space (which is actually far
from unfettered).In asking these questions, we're really inquiring about
the viability of democracy itself.""

Internet's relationship with and impact on public life, public sphere
and democracy is the key issue that should drive the Internet Governance
(IG) agenda, overcoming our fixation on Internet vis a vis the market
paradigm. At the very least, this issue should drive civil society
agenda in IG. However, a progressive civil society in the global IG
space that could articulate and advocate such an agenda is almost
entirely absent. There is, in my view, a more or less exclusive focus on
personal freedoms, chiefly FoE and privacy - no doubt, basic rights - at
the expense of such collective priorities and agenda.

Parminder