[governance] conflict of interests and multistakeholderism

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 7 17:23:22 EDT 2010

I think looking for "conflict" here is not that helpful. But insofar as it is I venture to say:
I write this without reference to previous work. It is meant as a more fresh view of what we non-yen & yang folks call a conflict. We should keep in mind this is a fairly modern western notion and does not fit with many views of harmonic interrelations.
The easiest place to find some helpful distinctions between real and seeming conflicts is in the concept of waiver. Who can waive and why and when do you need it. And that is very easy.  A catholic cannot waive the trinity in order to work with a Jewish person. The Trinity remains regardless of an agreement.  It cannot be altered or the catholic is no longer catholic, end of conflict. Then there is no need for waiver.  So if you sit on two boards that have direction, policy and purpose that are opposite you simply cannot waive that concept.  The conflict is real. However, as much as we warn against it, a man may serve two masters.  If the purpose, goals and desires are similar why not double dip?
So most can see where this leads us. Open Transparent disclosure of all relevant facts involved in a potential appearance of impropriety.  While two boxers may compete and certainly conflict, they can easily agree on the queensbury rules and hence engage in “healthy” competition, while waiving the potential conflict regarding which rules favor either side.  So now a Judge(jury, BoD member, CEO) can referee the fight fairly, even though his daughter is one of the boxers – so long as he enforces the rule fairly. So in fact no conflict exists for the father. Because the mediator is not interested in the parties but the application of rules to a contest or standard.
ITU, ICANN, EU, ASEAN, NAFTA, UN, DoC all have interests that are similar in some regards and dissimilar in some regards. For conflicts to arize between any two or three regarding the internet is really not a proper use of the term. Who gets what contract, whos’ people are in charge, who claims authorship, who owns best of breed. Not Conflicts.*
However as our Avri points out following Parminders' logic. If interested parties are not given a seat at the table and there is failure to disclose a synergy of interests on behalf of a player -- then that just sucks! But alas we would need to change the header here from "conflict of interests" to "dirty cheating selfdealing bastards."  I suggest a review of Mexico and Vietnam for what appear to be conflicts that are not. And how even if the system is not pristine the A2K ratio is awesome. And Multi-stakeholderism is non-existent.

* WHO is rife with this stuff. Not conflicts -- just cheating and kickbacks and big Pharma payoffs and cost benefit analysis of life and patents blocking fair use and allocation deciept and crooked gov. misdirections and warlord hoarding. Yuk. but not conflicts of interests, just self interests.