[governance] The work on IDNA2010 has begun.

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jun 7 07:55:52 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I forward you the mail of the workon at idna2010.org facilitator. The
post-IDNA2008 appeal phase is finished on my side (now the response
is to the IAB). Let me recall you the situation.

* IDNA2008 is the new and final way to support IDNs after the
IDNA2003 current live experimentation period, and the IAB RFC 4690 review.

* IDNA2008 replaces IDNA2003 _ONLY_ on the network side, making it
rock solidly based on the DNS and transparent to IDNs (except for
exceptions like Latin majuscule, etc.).

* IDNA2008 is documented by four Standard propositions + an
Informational document that introduces for developpers the way to
match it on the userside.

* The Area Director and the IESG have killed that Informational
document, and approved the four Standard propositions. The apeal is
about the fact they have not informed the Internet community on the
way they want to document how build userside IDNA interfaces. Manage
exceptions like Latin majuscule, etc. Ans probably foster a dramatic
innovation. Something IDNA2008 has permitted to stabilize and the IAB
is investigating (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-idn-encoding-02).

* What I says is: "IDNA2010 is therefore about matching IDNA2080 on
the userside. Then IDNA2012 should be about building a common
IDNA2008/IDNA2010 Internet User Interface".

Now, the ball is in the IAB field. The Internet Users and IAB
positions are not practically so different, but they still belong to
two different architectural paradigms of the Internet (pre and post
IDNA). The difference is that the Internet is "end to end dump rope"
and IDNA2008 permit to extend it (intelligence is to be on the
fringes) to "fringe to fringe smart wire" - this is Internet 2.0 with
additional network/users layers (at least the presentation layer,
probably two others on debate).

The difficulty is that the "fringe to fringe smart wire" namespace
does not belong to the ICANN scope and technically may use a unique
virtual root matrix (VROOM) some have to coordinate. This "some
people" MUST technically include users because they build it. FAST
TRACK is about testing if ICANN can resist Internet 2.0.

jfc